Monday, November 10, 2008

Miami's Biscayne Boulevard Battles...

Biscayne Blvd Battles Update: Upper Eastside Green Market and Vagabond Market Fight It Out....
My feeling is that both will survive but only one will thrive. Kris Wessel is selling his ice cream at the Vagabond, as well as smoking up some ribs-I ate one and it was the best-tasting rib I've had of his (although of course he was not satisfied-"needs to dry a little more"). My favorite rib in Miami is still The Fat Man's, though. Celebrity Chef Michelle "Michy" Bernstein was ambling through the place last weekend, and Doug Rodriguez was here Saturday with mozzarella in hand. When asked about the rumor that he was opening a stall at The Vagabond, he scoffed (I actually started that rumor, with that question.). He is rumored to be opening another spot in NYC (actual rumor, not started by me).
Aside from Wessel's 'Green Light' ice creams and sorbets (I tried the hazelnut and chocolate-very nutty), downtown's Raja's was serving some fresh Indian food at reasonable prices. Le Cafe was also there with breads, tarts, etc. Wessel has a lot of ideas for this space, and he told me at least 20 in the span of our four-minute conversation. I envision a day, in fact, when this space has Wessel's fingerprints all over it. He is the original Chef Dennis The Menace; and between he and Vagabond (Motel) Market owner Eric Silverman, they are like two mad geniuses on speed.
Silverman has created controversy with the neighbors with his apparently illegal alteration of the historic signs and other questionable moves. But I believe, after this market becomes a landmark of its own, detractors will begin to move on. I may be wrong; but I believe a lot of neighbors went against the Upper Eastside Green Market, and most eventually came around. In the end, I guess the 'market' will determine if a 'market' is the best use for this property. Right now, there are several things I would change, but again, I think the neighbors and other visitors will be voting with their feet. Although the $8/lb. stone crab claws at the Green Market are hard to beat, maybe people will be walking between the two markets, with a stop at Kingdom for a quick Bloody Mary (shopping can be so hard). Remember, the Vagabond is also open Sunday.
In other News For Boulevardiers...The old Mama Calypso across the street is being renovated by Haitian artist Papaloko-first a studio, then a restaurant. And great news!!!! The old Renaisa, Taj Mahal, etc., is going to become Anise-a new Med place by the Ouzo folks. I think this one is going to fight it out with Red Light for waterfront dining. And it is going to be a battle. They are within swimming distance of each other (don't get any ideas, my drunken friends). This has always been an under-utilized location, as Indian food still remains a very small niche here. But look for the Little River waterfront to start getting more crowded (there's something I never thought I'd say...), thanks to Chef Wessel's efforts in cleaning it up.





Raja's Indian Food...


Doug Rodriguez with Vito's Mozz...




Kris Wessel Whispers His Mantra to Staff-
(Don't Fuck Up...)



Anise Waterfront Dining on left...



Vagabond Wildman Eric Silverman is a blur...




$8/lb Stone Crab Claws...






Wessel Rib, Close-up...





Ribs and Swedish Hot Dogs....







When Celebrity Chefs Collide...








Here it comes...