Thursday, August 06, 2009

Homage or Thievery? You be the judge...

Look I'm just running a poll here. I used to write 'Culinary Cage Match' for the Miami Herald's website, Miami.com. In it I compared the same dish at two different restaurants, dishes using the same ingredients, and even events like afternoon tea at two different restaurants. So I see that Short Order, the Miami New Times food blog, now has a column called 'Plato Royal', where they do exactly the same thing. For example, me on Philly Cheesesteak them on Po' Boys

My poll today is, Am I being paranoid? or is this just an incredible ripoff, right down to the wrestling metaphor (Cage Match/Battle Royal)? As a writer all you have is the ideas you create; and when you feel someone's appropriated them, it's not a great feeling. It's like someone coming into your house and stealing your stereo. The thieves may be very nice people, and have their reasons for stealing, but still, you wouldn't want them to get away with it, would you? So I'm asking. Am I right to be angry? Thank you for your thoughtful comments...

The full story, and more, is at PressChops.