Tuesday, May 20, 2008

You, Me, and BiBi...

I simply could not get it out of my head-I was going to do a Polynesian Pig Roast Party with authentic Tiki drinks for the Miami launch of Artoconecto http://www.artoconecto.org/ , an arts-nonprofit founded by my constant companion and myself about a decade ago in Washington, DC. I only had two problems-I had never roasted a whole pig, and I had never made a Tiki drink. Both would be simultaneously more complicated and much easier than expected. The worries set in right from the start. Did I even know how to go about procuring a whole pig? Where would I keep a 75-pound pig while I marinated it? Where in the backyard could I cook it? The answer to these questions comes in the form of before and after photos of the pig, whom I call BiBi, with a little help from Chef Ronnichai (formerly of Oishi Thai, La Goulue, and Stop Miami Thai Tuesdays), who saved my ass...









The Bouguet Garni, which got stuffed inside BiBi...



Ronnie works fast on the patio to get the pig trussed and stuffed...

Taking a little time out for some lovin'...



PJ would not leave BiBi's side...



...and almost attacked....


Turning over the pig...



BiBi was half-done. Yes, that's a rebar pig-holder


Covered and smoked for about six hours...




I know it looks black, and it is, but most of the skin was salvaged, and the meat was incredibly smokey and moist...(I was already smoking my victory cigar)





I hacked off pieces for guests, and provided a homemade dipping sauce of mango chutney, fig jam, chocolate, and fresh basil...

The feet were a big item...

...and then people just started hacking away themselves...


...it was that aromatic and tender...

...nothing left but the palm fronds I cooked it on...
Part II, Tiki Drink recipes courtesy 'Beachbum' Berry....