Friday, December 21, 2007

A Baby's Arm Holding an Apple...


At the greenmarket the other day, I spied some organic King Trumpet mushrooms. These are built for quick sauteeing, as they are big (some over six inches long), thick, meaty, and tasty. I fixed up a soup with some chicken thighs and about two pounds of beef neck bones. Added some chopped up carrots, onions, and green peppers, and boiled the whole thing for a couple of hours, carefully removing the chicken after an hour for another use (chicken salad, what else?). While I was cooking the soup down, I cut the trumpets into 1/4" slices the long way, and sauteed very briefly over high heat in olive oil and butter. Then I sauteed about 1/2 pound of creminis in oil and butter, finishing them off with some good British malt vinegar, and dumped them in soup bowls. I poured the soup over them, then topped with the trumpets, and some melty cheese, for a rich, beefy, mushroom soup that was like a French onion soup, but topped with mushrooms. On the side I quick-pickled some organic breakfast radishes (equal amounts of salt and sugar, combine, let radishes sit in it for ten minutes), and toasted some bread. It was rich...