Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tenderoni-Fat Man's BBQ Smoke and Mirrors...


When Ben puts his jacket on, you know he means business.
He's won awards in two states for his BBQ Ribs...



Many of you know that I have been writing guides to BBQ and Rib Guys, as well as trucks, stands, and out-of-the-way joints with authentic food, or excellent takes on some great food that lesser mortals just can't seem to get right (like fried shrimp), for about a year, ever since my wife Alex and I closed our Wine and Tapas Bar, Stop Miami. Here's a link to the Herald's beta site http://beta.miami.com/moveable_feasts where I wrote about Roscoe's fried pork chop sandwich, available outside a strip club. Well the other night, I finally got to try Fat Man's BBQ outside the Take One 'Lounge', 333 NE 79th St. He has a major hickory smoker going on, and when I arrived he had just taken everything off the grill and slapped it into the warmer. He marinates, he smokes, and he makes something called Tenderoni, that I'm going to let him explain to you. Tomorrow I'll play part two, where he explains how to smoke a rib. I suggest you pay attention...